Tuesday, 9 March 2021




"Ageing is not the process of making you old and ugly, ageing is the process of making you bold and beautiful."
Dr. P.S. Jagadeesh Kumar


And so on to the next stage of life...


I have long wanted to start a blog on women ageing in the Asian context. Yes, there are blogs aplenty on ageing in other parts of the world, and here, on ageing in general, but I wanted a platform to talk about ageing among women in Singapore and in Asia.  I wanted to hear voices from senior women here and in Asia about their issues, their problems, their joys, and their blessings. I want to know how they deal with old age, with retirement, with new roles like being a mother-in-law or a widow or a divorcee, with living alone, with sagging skin, with being ignored or affirmed by the young, with hair that's growing white, with clothes not made for mature bodies, with feet that ache, with skin and every other body part that's dry and tender and fragile, and with the joys and frustrations of making it from day to day. In short, everything from the trivial to the profound. 


But work has given me an excuse not to begin and while I've had this blog for the longest time, it is only now that I have found the motivation and the will to finally activate this project. The truth is, I was fearful. Fearful of the reception I'd get, fearful of the opinions of other women and generally, just fearful of failing. But after I've gone through all the fears I could list, I came to the conclusion that they are just fears. And fears are meant to be conquered. 

"...ageing is the process of making you bold." If not now, then when? If I don't do this now, will I regret it later when I am unable to summon the energy to do it? I don't take life for granted; I always remind myself that I live in the long shadow of cancer and that every day is a gift. 

So, with some trepidation and a lot of guts and optimism, I begin this blog and an accompanying Instagram account to initiate discussion about women growing old in Singapore and in Asia. My insights alone will not be enough so every now and then, I hope that other senior women will contribute their views and ideas on different aspects of ageing. I invite you too to share your views and opinions and to add to the conversation here. And if there's a topic you want to be discussed, please let me know.

Please join me on Instagram at awesome.elder.women. If you're wondering about the "elder", I do want to emphasise that we are elder because we are simply older than others but have many more years of life in us as opposed to "elderly" which is simply someone in the last years of their life.

Come and be a part of this journey with me. Together we can age and be more bold and beautiful!

4 comments:

  1. I m enjoying life more at this age because i m retired n i m free to follow my heart - to wake up when i like, to snooze when i like. Life is good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie! Good for you! We should be able to appreciate that life CAN be good!

      Delete
  2. Unlike you debbie, i need structure. I have to get up early, says my prayers and go for a walk to keep the moving parts working. And morning is the best time for it.if I don't do it then, chances are I won't do it in the evening. And yes, i love it thet i can take a snooze anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Unknown, I do think structure is helpful. I do find my own routine quite helpful for a productive day. But I like some deviations from routines or life can be too predictable!

      Delete